May 17, 2011

wild{e}ly accurate

--
course played:  presidio
holes played:  1 through 8
balls lost:  1
balls found:  1
--

although the dear oscar wilde was more of lover than a golfer, he did once have this to say:

'consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.'

one can only assume that he was referring to golf when he wrote this because i can't think of a sport where this is more applicable.  the game is unforgiving and doesn't leave a ton of room for error.  i mean - come on - the golf ball is so tiny and the club heads are so small!  it is pretty much a miracle when they make contact.

she looks really unimaginative to me

wilde's quote makes me feel better about my whiffs, misses and lost balls while also speaking to my game and my person.  my game?  it's devastatingly inconsistent.  my person?  yep, i'm overly imaginative - no need to run to the refuge of consistency.  just need to buy 'the women's guide to consistent golf.'

not.

2 comments:

  1. When was the Women's guide to consistent golf published? 1971?

    Also-why is there a difference for women and men - the pursuit of consistency seems like it should apply equally to all genders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the book ...and I really like it. It's beyond beginner level and helped me break through a plateau I'd reached.

    It was actually published in 2002 but I agree the cover shot looks somewhat retro. As for the difference for women and men the book would apply equally to both it's just that some of the advice Kellie presents... like using the correct club for the distance you hit... would be unlikely to be accepted by the majority of men due to their ego issues. LOL. Sort of. (*・_・)ノ⌒*

    ReplyDelete