June 21, 2011

patience rewarded

--
course played:  old course at half moon bay
holes played:  18
balls lost:  5
balls found:  2
--

with a smile and a wink, the starter at the club house informed me that arnold plamer designed the old course that elliot and i were about to play at half moon bay.  being the golf neophyte that i am, i had no clue what that meant.  9 holes in, i still hadn't figured it out.  the course was all kinds of slope-y and ran through the back of quite a number of houses.  around the 10th hole, i got trapped in some trees where it took me no less than 5 swings to get out.  each of the first four swings sent the ball into yet another tree, where it would bounce backwards and almost hit me.  had it been appropriate, i would have called 'fore!' at myself, on my own shot. {meta - gasp!}

as we played the back 9, i couldn't help but notice the wind picking up.  either a storm was brewing or we were getting close to the ocean.  since patience is a virtue, i held in my complaints and kept playing.  hole by hole, swing after swing, i felt colder and became less virtuous.

just when i was about to add some cheese to my whine, we reached the 18th hole.

old course, 18th hole

encouraged by the waves crashing against the rocks and the pacific wind in my face, i hit the ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment